Having written about the growth in data and data management last month (and all the challenges it brings) I was surprised at the many conversations on email with colleagues and clients it sparked. Taking some cues from those discussions, I thought I would expand on a few more reasons why scaling the data “Everest” with cloud technologies, beats the conventional approach to backing up your data.
1) Tape is unreliable despite being seen as a failsafe, tape is now seen as not the sturdy back up it once was. Recent reports from Gartner suggests that up to 50 percent of all tape restores fail and that 34% of surveyed companies never test a restore from tape, and of those that do test, 77% experienced tape backup failures. Considering how some pundits criticise Cloud hosting as having issues about reliability of service these are amazing figures. These are clearly signs of a technology nearing the end of its lifespan.
2) Physical storage creates a costly ‘Data Mountain’ this amusing animation from TwinStrata illustrates how backing to tape is costly. As discussed last month with Data growing at faster rates, storing the physical tapes is a costly exercise (physical space, cooling, power etc.). For some IT managers having information ‘physically there’ provides a false sense of security, and you can see once you have to go back to retrieve from tape, things often go wrong.
3) Specialised and costly skills required- Most IT managers know that Enterprise SAN and Data Management technologies are hard to manage and require real skills from an employee. With skills shortages many businesses rely on consultants to fill the gaps, either way these costs can eat into your budget.
4) Inefficient use of budgets -Gartner reports that after 90 days( for most organisations) 70% of data is not accessed. Part of this is a need to archive, but clearly having to access old tapes is arduous and time consuming. Cloud hosting eliminates the work hours and effort needed to access your data when you need it.
5) Scalability-Using physical backup systems mean that CIO’s usually overspend in regards to ensuring they have the correct infrastructure and capacity. This is a waste of resources. The other trouble with this approach is that when it is time to upgrade, it is a long and costly process. Cloud hosting eliminates this problem on both fronts. You only pay for what you need, and when it is time to expand, it is a quick and painless procedure.
We can build a solution for you at Cloud Solutions Group that suits your business, and will help you conquer the looming Everest of Data. Our services like CloudArray, offer easy to manage data solutions, that are affordable, makes your data easy to access, secure and can be speedily implemented. If you feel that your IT function’s Data Management needs a Cloud upgrade, we would love to talk to you.
By Josh Rubens